Darrow drama continues


Next month (three weeks from today), the annual Scopes Festival will be upon us here in Dayton, TN.  This year, the town is welcoming a new statue on the Courthouse lawn.  Well, most of the town is welcoming the statue.

I've written several times previously about the coming statue of Scopes Trial defense attorney Clarence Darrow (see here, here, and here).  The out of town press seem determined to whip up a "controversy" about this, but locally, there's only one person playing to this stereotype.  Now, Hemant Mehta (the "Friendly Atheist") seems to be genuinely worried about June Griffin's comments about the statue.  You can read about their unfortunate interactions at his blog.

I'm disappointed and distressed about this situation.  Jesus Christ commanded us to love our enemies, bless those that curse you, and pray for those who persecute you.  Why?  "That you may be children of your Father in heaven" (Matt. 5:45).  I've spent the past five or so years trying to figure out how to do this in the midst of a heated culture war.  I'm saddened that there are others who do not share my desire to obey Jesus in this way.

Is Mrs. Griffin actually going to commit some act of violence?  I don't know.  I've lived here for 17 years, and I've mostly just heard her rhetoric.  She's rarely acted out.  She may well be trolling Mr. Mehta and having a good laugh at his expense.  Given the content of his blog, he certainly seems to be prone to finding (and mocking) the absolute worst of religious people.

On the other hand, this looks like a good opportunity for me and Core Academy to share the love and gospel of Christ.  I'm not exactly sure what we can do, though.  I'd love some suggestions.  Please shoot me an email, or head over to the Core Academy Facebook page to leave a comment.  Remember though: We're not looking to stir up more resentment and anger.  That means no mocking atheists or Mrs. Griffin.  After all, we have to love all our enemies.

Feedback? Email me at toddcharleswood [at] gmail [dot] com. If you enjoyed this article, please consider a contribution to Core Academy of Science. Thank you.