I'm not alone

Feedback on my apparent heterodoxy continues. John Lynch linked to my post on science (where you'll find some lovely comments), and I am quite aware that Cornelius Hunter posted what appears to be some kind of rebuttal on his blog. Thanks to those who emailed me about it.

My doctrinal outburst might have seemed a little overly despairing and even a little redundant (here and here). I don't want anyone to think I'm feeling abused or depressed by this. I knew what I was doing when I posted the truth about evolution, and I'm not the least surprised by the fuss it's created. It's been kind of amusing, really.

Besides all the silly reactions, there have also been some encouraging notes that I wanted to share (with permission of the authors). These all came to me by private email, and I'll maintain the author's privacy by not divulging their identities. I think these reveal something very important: Not all creationists ride the antievolution bandwagon. I'm not alone in my assessment of evolution and the creation/evolution debate.

One reader wrote,
Don't let it wear you down or get to frustrate you too much. Disagreement and outrage are far more motivating than agreement and satisfaction, so I'm sure you're getting far too many emails and contacts of the former type, but there are a couple of us, at least, who sincerely want you to keep on working just like you are and not giving up on your blog and communications.
Thanks, I won't be giving up any time soon.

It's nice to know that some of my creationist readers really do understand my point:
I wanted to tell you that I was quite glad to read your post entitled "The truth about evolution." I think that we creationists often get stuck in a bubble and cannot understand why others don't see like we do. In fact, I think it is of tantamount importance that we do understand where non-Christians are coming from if we are to witness to them. Simply being snide and dismissing evolution is a sad mistake. So, your post was much needed (perhaps the way your tone came across was troubling to some).
Tone's a tricky thing. I tend not to take things too seriously, but that can come across as smug, condescending, or flippant. I assure you, though, that I take the nature of science, evidence, and faith very seriously.

This last note illustrates one of the issues that motivates me:
Thanks for posting this, it really needs to be said. I remember vividly the "holy crap, I've been lied to!" feeling I had when I was exposed to the evidence for evolution in college and grad school. I'm sure that many people leave the faith when they learn that the "right answers" they've been taught in high school are hopelessly naive and beside the point. It could have happened to me.
I'm not even going to comment except to say "Amen."

I'll be posting more on the nature of scientific explanation soon. Stay tuned!