I'm back!

Farewell, sweet vacation! But I don't think I'm ready to go back to work yet... oh well.

I'm still catching up on all the interesting stuff that happened while I was away. I see there's another fossil primate on the cover of Nature. I also skimmed over the latest Journal of Creation. Jean Lightner's getting hammered in the letters section over her views on "biblical taxonomy." I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but let me toss this out: I think the view espoused by some creationists that there is a divinely-inspired and revealed taxonomy is totally incorrect. I've explained why in Understanding the Pattern of Life. I'll probably have more to say about that later. I also noted Peter Borger's article claiming to solve the issue of "homoplasy and nested hierarchy." Big claim for a short paper, but I sincerely hope he's on to something. (But I would be more optimistic if he didn't consistently refer to Doug Futuyma as "Fuytema.")

Meanwhile, the latest issue of the Baptist Bulletin has a nice piece on the upcoming 50th anniversary of the publication of The Genesis Flood. You can read the whole article at their website. They also did a new interview with John C. Whitcomb, Jr. for the issue. I absolutely loved this quote:
Is it a wise idea for a believer to hold formal debates with unbelievers on the creation issue?

My personal opinion is no. I can’t visualize the apostle Paul having a formal debate with the Judaizers in a format that hinders or limits the use of Scripture.

You see, in a debate with an unbeliever, you set the Bible aside. You can’t use it. You have to agree to use "logic" and "scientific evidence" without appealing to spiritual, theological authority. You can’t function effectively as a theologian, as a teacher, as a witness when you can’t use the Scriptures. Preaching, on the other hand, is telling people what God said. You’re not debating anything. You’re just announcing, proclaiming, what God has entrusted to us in His precious Word. And so that’s a very, very different format than debate.
I find a lot to agree with there.

Feedback? Email me at toddcharleswood [at] gmail [dot] com.