England 1: Manchester

Despite a few delays, I managed to arrive safely in Manchester this afternoon. My first event of the week was speaking on "Science and the Supernatural" at Elmwood Church in Salford. My basic point was that science deals with the supernatural readily and therefore utilizing the supernatural in explanation should not by itself disqualify that explanation as science. I gave as examples prayer studies, Shroud of Turin studies, and scientific refutations of creationist claims. The crowd reacted quite well to the presentation (though I ran a bit long), and I got a number of really insightful questions. Many thanks to Duncan Bottrill for organizing my visit.

Tomorrow I'm headed back to the London area to prepare for my more technical presentation "The Challenge of Darwin" on Saturday.

Now, I'm exhausted and I'm going to sleep.