Reflecting on the Truth about Evolution

I knew that the truth about evolution would startle some people, and it stirred up quite a bit of reaction. Some of it funny, some of it predictable, and some of it profoundly sad. A lot of smugness, too. There was even a glimmer of hope from above the Arctic Circle (you know who you are; thanks for the encouragement).

My all-time favorite blog response was from a person who took the time to email and say, "You are the stupidest person in the world." Which is totally false. I can think of at least five people stupider than I am. (I will admit that I can be a tad thick at times.)

Currently, I'm trying to sort through it all and figure out the best way to respond to the things I want to respond to. As for now, I've said precisely what I wanted to say, and I think it's very clear as it is. (And it doesn't read nearly like the rant I wanted to write...) I know many of you are in a tizzy, but you'll just have to wait.

I will say one thing in the meantime: I disabled comments on this blog to keep it from consuming me. I'm not afraid of dialogue, but I am keenly aware that many folks in this debate just like to hear the sound of their own voices. If you want to have a serious dialogue, my email address is listed in the welcome message on the right. If you just want to monologue, don't waste your time emailing; I won't be baited into an endless argument.

In the meantime, I'm working on comments about Ardipithecus for Monday, and I'll be watching Darwin's Darkest Hour Tuesday night on Nova. So I'll probably have comments on that too.

So, my friends (and enemies), have patience.