Basic Types are coming

One of the projects that we've been working on since I got to CORE is the translation of the German book Typen des Lebens, (Basic Types of Life). The book was originally published in the early 1990s, and we started our translation back in 2000. Nine years later, I'm both relieved and excited to announce that the translation is almost complete. Not only has it been translated, but the articles have been updated, and new articles have been added. Basic Types of Life introduces the concept of basic type biology, in which basic types of species are defined by hybridization (see my Ardipithecus post for more on BT biology).

This coming week, I'll be reading through the latest proof copy of the book, which should be one of the last complete read-throughs. I expect that it will be available for sale in the CORE Issues series sometime in the new year (hopefully January). I'll post again when we're closer to the finished product.