Looking ahead to Africa


Sometimes God moves in surprising ways.

Our mission at Core Academy is to nurture the next generation of faithful, Christ-like creation researchers to explore the hardest problems in creation.  We focus on mentoring students and young scholars, and we encourage them to go after the toughest questions out there.  We host annual retreats, sponsor a scholarship fund, and keep in personal contact with students all over the country.  We even stay connected with a few young scholars in Europe.

Lately though, we’ve been hearing another call.  First, we were contacted by a zoology professor from Ethiopia who heard about our work and wanted to learn more about creation research.  He had only ever heard the evolution side of the story.  Some of you know we sent him a packet of creationist books, and we have kept in touch.  He is eager to learn more, and we’ve been trying to figure out a way to meet in person.

More recently, as my own study of human fossils continues, I started gathering my own original data.  To this point, I’ve been using published data from the literature, but I have always been somewhat dissatisfied with the data that’s been published.  So I started collecting my own data from published photographs and anatomical descriptions.  As I do this, I’ve awakened a yearning to see these fossil sites for myself.  I’ve seen other creationists like Kurt Wise and Leonard Brand reap great rewards by visiting fossil sites in person, and I keep wondering what discoveries might await us at well-known sites like Olduvai or Laetoli.

So I’ve been praying and seeking ways for Core Academy to connect with Africa, especially the east African countries of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania.  Imagine my surprise and delight when I happened to learn that the new assistant pastor at our church is on the board of the Rafiki Foundation, which administers classical Christian schools in each of those countries.  When I found out that they’re trying to outfit a new science classroom in Ethiopia, I knew that we could help.  Their need is relatively small, mostly simple classroom equipment like beakers and magnifying glasses.  We’re partnering with my good friends at Cornerstone Education Supply to fill this need, which will cost only $3,000.  If you would like to join us in this endeavor, please visit our donation page and mark your contribution for the Ethiopia School Fund.

Why Africa?

As I’ve been reaching out to African Christians to learn more about their culture and countries, more than one person has pointed out to me that the creation/evolution debate is not that big of a deal to believers there.  If we were a strictly apologetics ministry, that would bother me, but our mission is bigger than that.  We’re out to inspire young people to pursue God faithfully in their scholarly callings.  We want to build up the next generation to become faithful followers of Christ and leaders in their academic fields.  This mission certainly transcends the United States.

I also know that Africa’s influence in global Christianity is on the rise.  In fact, some observers believe that the leadership of evangelical Christianity will shift to Africa and the developing world in the near future.  As biblical faith wanes in the West, revivals are breaking out in developing nations.  Christianity Today recently ran a feature article highlighting the foreign missionaries coming from the country of Ethiopia!  As Christians in these countries continue to minister to those around them, Core Academy can be there to help assist their students in becoming scholars for Christ, just as we do here in the United States.

Most importantly, our outreach to these countries helps us to answer a question that has bothered me for many years now: How do we love our neighbor with creationist research?  Core Academy has built up an amazing network of scholars and students, and we have so much to offer.  Why not reach out to students half-way around the world?  Why not share with them the thrill of following Christ as scientists and scholars?  With this opportunity to help those in need, we can fulfill the second great commandment, and share the love of Christ!

And in the back of my mind, I’m always thinking what a blessing it would be to take students and colleagues to Africa in order to experience God’s creation there and to minister to our African friends and colleagues.  Perhaps we could even develop an exchange program and bring some African brothers and sisters to America to study creation here?  That’s probably still a few years away, but I keep thinking about it.  Who knows where the Lord will lead next?

It’s a great privilege to watch as God opens new doors for Core Academy’s ministry, and we’re excited to see where he will lead.  Will you join us in blessing the students of Ethiopia?  For us, the need is small, but for them, it means so much!  Visit our donation page or click the link below to join us in this exciting work!

Feedback? Email me at toddcharleswood [at] gmail [dot] com. If you enjoyed this article, please consider a contribution to Core Academy of Science. Thank you.

Have you read my book?  You should check that out too!