I got some 'splainin' to do


I've got a weird, awkward announcement, so let's just rip it off like a band-aid: I'm going to speak at the BioLogos conference next week.  I'll be appearing with Darrel Falk and Michael Gulker of the Colossian Forum.  We'll be talking about the book The Fool and the Heretic.  Our session is scheduled for Friday afternoon 1:30 to 2:30 in the main plenary room (Constellation AB).

For that small minority of my readers who don't know, BioLogos is an evangelical organization dedicated to promoting evolution to other evangelicals.  I am a young-age creationist, and I have a lot of problems with mixing evolution and Christianity.

Before you ask, no, I have not gone over to the dark side.  I just had an opportunity to speak to a crowd that would normally not listen to any young-age creationists.  Not in person, anyway.  That's a tempting prospect.  Also, Darrel really wanted to go and promote our work together.  So even though I already had plans next weekend, I decided to rearrange everything and make time for the BioLogos conference.

I will not be there for the entire conference.  I'll only be there on Friday, and I'm hoping to leave shortly after my presentation (about an hour later).  If you're so inclined, please pray for strength for me, since this will be a challenging weekend, physically and emotionally.

To be blunt, I'm not really looking forward to going to the BioLogos conference.  When Darrel and I usually speak in public, I can count on the audience being heterogeneous with people on all sides of the issue.  I expect that won't be the case here.  I have no intention of pulling punches, though.  I might even speak more forcefully than I have in the past.

This is an important opportunity though, and I need to swallow my pride and curb my emotions to walk through this door the Lord opened.  There are bigger issues here than who's right and who's wrong.  Darrel and I have a remarkable opportunity to show the gospel's power at work, and that's the biggest reason I agreed to do this.

So that's that.  Pray hard.

Thanks.

Feedback? Email me at toddcharleswood [at] gmail [dot] com. If you enjoyed this article, please consider a contribution to Core Academy of Science. Thank you.

Have you read my book?  You should check that out too!