2018 International Conference on Creationism part 1


Last week, I attended the International Conference on Creationism and Origins 2018 in Pittsburgh.  This was my fourth ICC, and I've had papers at three of the four I've attended (2003, 2013, 2018).  I recently wrote about some of my experiences at previous ICCs, and I have to admit that ICC is always kind of a mixed bag of excitement and disappointment.  I'm excited to see everyone, but I always wished that the conference could be, well, better.  I wish the papers were better and the research was better and the progress was better.

In 2018, I felt like I got my wish.

This ICC was notably different.  Very different.  Other people even mentioned it to me.  The papers were more substantive.  There were lots of young people attending and presenting.  Hanging around with students all week, I was energized by their excitement.  Not once did I wander into a paper that was genuinely bad, even the ones that I disagreed with.  This really was a decent conference.

I'm still delighted.  I've prayed and hoped and worked for this day for years.  I've wanted to see more young people involved, producing better quality work for the glory of God.  I am finally seeing answers to these prayers.  It's humbling.

I want to thank all the authors who worked hard on their papers, the editors who worked hard on other people's papers, and the Creation Science Fellowship, for continuing to plug away at this.

This will be the first in a series of posts on ICC and Origins 2018.  I'll cover Origins tomorrow, and then we'll dig into some of the notable papers the ICC itself on Thursday.  I'll try to wrap it up by Friday.

And then... well, I can't wait to see what's next!

Feedback? Email me at toddcharleswood [at] gmail [dot] com. If you enjoyed this article, please consider a contribution to Core Academy of Science. Thank you.