Haslam doesn't sign

But the evolution bill becomes law anyway.

According to the governor's statement quoted by the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
I have reviewed the final language of HB 368/SB 893 and assessed the legislation’s impact. I have also evaluated the concerns that have been raised by the bill. I do not believe that this legislation changes the scientific standards that are taught in our schools or the curriculum that is used by our teachers. However, I also don’t believe that it accomplishes anything that isn’t already acceptable in our schools.

The bill received strong bipartisan support, passing the House and Senate by a three-to-one margin, but good legislation should bring clarity and not confusion. My concern is that this bill has not met this objective. For that reason, I will not sign the bill but will allow it to become law without my signature.

Read the whole story here:

Tennessee evolution bill becomes law without governor's signature

Feedback? Email me at toddcharleswood [at] gmail [dot] com.